Friday, August 24, 2012

SHAKE IT OUT

* Colossians 4:2-3: Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.

Phew!!! What a crazy two weeks ... I've really been putting our value of investing in the community to the test.  As most of you know, I am an assistant football coach at Fairview Middle School and these past two weeks have been consumed with the opening practices of the new school year season.  In addition, I volunteered to help my son's "little gridders" football team.  So I've had 2-a-day practices myself for much of the past two weeks. 

Some may think I'm a glutton for punishment but the reality is that "leadership leads" and if we value investing in the community I need to model that and be in the community, doing what I do well, with the gifts I've been given.  For me that means that for two weeks out of the year my world gets really hectic.  Many of you can relate as you invest yourselves in other areas in our community or abroad.

While I love coaching football, many of you will understand when I say that I don't do it for football sake, but to build relationships with people and share the love and grace of Christ through my normal everyday living.  This is one way (among others) that I can practically be "salt and light" (Matthew 5:13-16) in my community and outside the parameters of the church.

I'm not sure where your influence is in the community (neighborhood, schools, workplace, gym, or your favorite coffee shop) but I know that there is a space that you can influence for Christ.  Through your actions, decisions, and values you are model - people are watching.  For those of us who call ourselves Christian we have an opportunity to "shake out" and "shine out" our faith; and with eyes that are open wide, see the opportunities and open doors* to speak God's truth into the lives of those who are not yet Christ followers.

Come Sunday, let's celebrate what we've seen and heard this week as God's been moving in our lives and in our community.

See you Sunday at 10am at Fairview Middle School.

No comments: