Monday, July 16, 2012

Mirror Mirror on the Wall ...

I just read this post from a friend serving overseas.  I thought I'd share it as a guest post today. From Dr. David Aderholdt working in Macedonia and eastern Asia.  Enjoy. 

Dear Friends and Family
Let me tell you something, if you don't press a button for a floor other than the one you start on, the elevator won't move!  I found this out this morning when I had to wait three rounds of people who kept showing up while I was waiting for the elevator.  And since it is so small, I am the only one that can fit in there when I have my bicycle with me and I did.  Finally I got one that was empty and no one was waiting, and so I raise the bike up on it's rear wheel and roll it into the elevator.  Press one and then start admiring myself in the mirror that covers the rear wall of the small elevator (I have noticed that Asians are extremely mirror focused and they are examining their looks constantly, guess I am starting too as well).  When my internal clock notified me that I should have arrived at the 12th floor by now, I looked up at the digital readout and saw that I was not moving and that I was still on the 1st floor.  Thank God no one came and pressed the button for the elevator or they would have found me there standing there, holding my bike, admiring myself in the mirror!

I think we often live out our spiritual lives like this too.  We expect progress without taking the necessary steps toward maturity.  We expect sin to lose it's appeal, and we expect our embrace of all things spiritual to happen naturally and without effort or thinking or care or steps . . . you may soon wake up and find yourself on the same level you started out on.

No comments: